Halsey Map | Preservation Society of Charleston


Elected mayor November 4, 1857, succeeding William P. Miles. Succeeded by Peter C. Gaillard, November 1865.
Born 1805, died November 13, 1881, buried in First (Scots) Presbyterian churchyard.
Son of James Macbeth and Catherine Johnston, married Henrietta Gourdin Ravenel 1835.
Attorney, admitted to bar in 1827. Practiced with Richard Yeadon as Yeadon & Macbeth until 1857, then with Henry Buist as Macbeth & Buist.
Planted at Wampee Plantation (St. John's, Berkeley, Parish) and had summer residence at Pinopolis.
Represented St. Philip's and St. Michael's parishes in State House of Representatives in the Thirty-Eighth General Assembly, 1848-1849.    

Charleston Mercury, November 6, 1857.
"Mortuary - Charles Macbeth." Year Book of the City of Charleston, 1881 (Charleston, 1882).
"Index of Graveyard and Memorial Records at First (Scots)." http://www.first-scots.org/graveyard_memorial_indexes.html
Edgar, Walter, ed. Biographical Directory of the South Carolina House of Representatives. Volume 1: Session Lists, 1692-1973. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1974.


Preservation Society of Charleston

9 Legare Street, home of Mayor Charles Macbeth. In 1836, Macbeth paid $10,000 to trustees of the William Harth estate for a three-story frame residence, formerly a rental property. He occupied this house until his death. Robert Stockton, “Legare Street Residence Remodeled Around 1900.” News and Courier, February 25, 1980.


Sanborn Company Fire Insurance map, 1888

William H. Brawley, who had purchased 9 Legare Street in 1882, repaired the house and outbuildings after the 1886 earthquake.


Sanborn Company Fire Insurance map, 1902

By 1902, extensive modifications had been carried out. The piazza wrapped around new bay wings, and a rear addition extended along Gibbes Street.


Bishop Roberts and W. H. Toms, The Ichnography of Charles-Town at High Water. London, 1739.

General location of 9 Legare Street in 1739.


Ichnography of Charleston, South Carolina. Surveyed by Edmund Petrie for the Phoenix Fire Company of London, 1788.

Location of 9 Legare Street in 1788.


The Charleston Archive, Charleston County Public Library

Macbeth Summer House, Pinopolis. From the Records of the Historic Preservation Planner, Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments, 1970–1981.


Historic American Buildings Survey, Library of Congress www.lofc.gov

Wampee Plantation House, 1939 view.


Wampee Conference Center

Wampee Plantation House was rehabilitated as a conference center by Santee Cooper. Most of the plantation was flooded in 1942, when the South Carolina Public Service Authority dammed the Santee River to create Lake Moultrie. The ridge occupied by Wampee House and the historic summer village of Pinopolis is above the level of the lake.


Preservation Society of Charleston