Halsey Map | Preservation Society of Charleston
JohnDawson, Jr.

JOHN DAWSON, JR.

Elected intendant September 8, 1806, succeeding Charles B. Cochran. Re-elected September 14, 1807. Resigned and replaced by Benjamin Boyd, July 1808.
Born 1765, died June 3, 1823, buried at St. Paul's Episcopal Church [Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul].
Son of John Dawson and Joanna Broughton Monck, married Mary Shubrick Huger 1789; her father, John Huger, was Charleston's intendant 1792-1794.
Charleston merchant and Johns Island plantation owner.
Represented St. Philip's and St. Michael's parishes in State House during four General Assemblies, 1800-1808. 

Bailey, N. Louise. Biographical Directory of the South Carolina State House of Representatives. Vol. 4, 1791-1815. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1984.
Charleston Courier, September 9, 1806.


 

Sanborn Map Company, 1944

84 Bull Street, 1944. The south piazza was removed after 1934, and the house was converted into apartments.

 

Preservation Society of Charleston

84 Bull Street, 2014.

 

News and Courier, February 9, 1932.

Between 1803 and 1806, John Dawson and his family moved from Hasell Street to this house in the Village of Harleston. His surviving daughters remained at 84 Bull Street at least until 1860.

 

Henry S. Tanner, A New Map of South Carolina with its Canals, Roads and Distances from Place to Place along the State and Steamboat Routes. Ca. 1833 American Memory, Library of Congress http://memory.loc.gov/

Location of Dawson residence, 1833. The Misses Dawson operated a private school in their home during the 1830s.

 

C. Drie. Bird's Eye View of the City of Charleston, South Carolina. 1872. American Memory, Library of Congress http://memory.loc.gov/

The Dawson residence was owned by Adam Tunno in 1872.

 

Preservation Society of Charleston
www.preservationsociety.org/